Bridlington is a town in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
It has a population of over 32,000 (expanding greatly in the summer months) and is twinned with Millau, France and Bad Salzuflen, Germany.
Bridlington is a seaside resort and minor seaport on the North Sea. It lies just south of the promontory of Flamborough Head. It is served by Bridlington railway station which is on the Yorkshire Coast Line that runs between Hull and Scarborough.
Dane’s Dyke, a 2½ mile long prehistoric manmade dyke cuts through Flamborough, a district of Bridlington, and dates back to the Bronze Age; despite its name, it was not made by Danes. The dyke was excavated by Major-General Augustus Pitt-Rivers in 1879 and Bronze Age arrowheads were found.
The town began a mile away from the sea around the abbey of Bridlington Priory. A small harbour and fishing port, known as Bridlington Quay, was established where the Gypsey Race runs into the sea. In 1643 Queen Henrietta Maria landed at Bridlington with troops to support the Royalist cause in the English Civil War.
Bridlington’s first hotel was opened in 1805 and it soon became a popular holiday resort for industrial workers from West Yorkshire. Bridlington’s popularity has declined with the industrial north and the popularity of cheap foreign holidays. In its heyday, though, it was a leading resort with a nationally famous dance venue at the Spa, and many famous entertainers have appeared in the town.
1072 William the Conqueror confiscated the manor of Bridlington.
1086 The previous names of Bridlington are known to be Brellington, Britlington and Bretlington mentioned in Doomsday book. The name Burlington was used up until the 19th Century.
1113 Walter de Gaunt founded monastery and church of St. Mary’s.
1113 Gilbert de Gant granted the manor of Bridlington and with it the Harbour to the Prior of Bridlington. De Gant was given Bridlington manor after the battle of Hastings.
1388 The Bayle is built as the gatehouse to the Priory and still remains intact.
1450 Choir school founded by Henry VI.
1538 The king claimed possession of the monastery and dissolved it in 1538 along with the Priory and its buildings.
1637 The grammar school founded by W. F. Hustler.
1664 First Earl of Burlington created by Charles II.
1666 The Town was raided by Dutch boats.
1667 A fort was built next to the sea where Leisure world now stands.
1697 The second Baptist church in Yorkshire was built.
1714 The Avenue was built for the Pickett family.
1752 The birth of Samuel Standidge the famous whaler.
1760 The Avenue was bought by Thomas Pickett.
1767 The town receives its first fire engine.
1802 Bridlington’s first bank was built it was called Burlington Bank.
1805 The town’s first hotel was built it was called George Hotel.
1806 The town’s first lifeboat was established.
1811 Town population reaches 3741 with 869 houses accounted for.
1822 The birth of Humphrey Sandwith who was the organizer of Crimean War.
1823 The town has its first policeman.
1833 Temperance Hall built.
1836 The Towns first newspaper was published it was called the Burlington Reporter.
1837 A steam mill was erected at Bridlington’s Quay where production of Malt and beer was done.
1840 Christ Church built.
1846 A railway built from Hull to Bridlington opened in October.
1847 The railway carried on to Scarborough.
1867 First sea stone wall built.
1871 A great storm in Bridlington claims the lives of 70 seamen.
1889 Bridlington Priory Organ is built. It is one of the largest in the world.
1891 Population reaches 6840.
1896 Donkey rides introduced on the beach. Opening of new Spa and Gardens.
1899 Bridlington Grammar School for Boys opens.
1899 First Mayor of Bridlington Mr. R. Medforth.
1901 Population stands at 12482.
1906 Spa Hall destroyed by fire.
1928 Opening of Princess Mary Promenade.
1931 New North sea wall completed.
1932 The Avenue becomes a hospital.
1940 Woolworth’s store hit by bomb (WWII)
1988 The Avenue becomes derelict.
1974 Bridlington becomes part of the county of Humberside.
1979 Population reaches 28590.
1993 The Avenue is transformed into apartments.
1995 The new Spa Promenade opened.
1996 High Street refurbished and Harbour footbridge demolished.
1999 Bridlington School, now a mixed comprehensive, celebrates it Centenary Year.