The Bayle is a 12th century stone two storey gatehouse, of the Augustinian priory. In 1143, during the Anarchy in the reign of King Stephen, the priory and The Bayle, were fortified by William le Gros, with the priory being granted licence to crenellate in 1388, by King Richard II. The large vehicular archway of The Bayle, was the priory’s main entrance and the interior passage gives access to small chambers, both with a garerobe, one being the porter’s lodge and the other a prison. Accessed by spiral stairs, is a large first floor chamber, used as the Court of the Priors and although altered and repaired in brick during the 17th century, the gate, still retains its original form and arrangement. 4 miles north-east is Flamborough Castle and 6 miles south-west is Burton Agnes Manor House.
The museum has varied collections including: local social history, Green Howards Military History, agricultural objects, photographs, Medieval manuscripts and much more. The Museum was updated in 2001 and now incorporates, interactive games, life-size models, CD-ROMs and audio panels to tell the history of Bridlington.
* Primary school education service available
Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
Secondary school education service available
* Picnic area
East Riding of Yorkshire
Telephone 01262 674308
E-mail : email@example.com